At Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology, we have several different types of massage that might be right for you.
The different types of massages focus on different styles and different parts of the body according to your personal relaxation and healing needs.
Our massage therapists will apply strong or gentle pressure to the joints and muscles to ease pain, stress and tension. Our massage therapists are highly trained and skilled in the different options that we offer.
Choose your massage:
A Swedish massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology is what most people associate with massage today. The Swedish massage technique has been developed TO RELAX THE ENTIRE BODY.
This technique is done using long, stroking motions in the direction of the heart – to open up your blood vessels and increase circulation and blood flow. Improved circulation increases oxygen and nutrient flow, helping your body to remove harmful toxins more efficiently.
Your therapist will also knead and work with any painful areas, working out the kinks for you.
Your Massage Therapist will use a combination of:
- Long, Flowing Strokes, in the Direction of the Heart
- Vibration and Tapping
- Joint Movement Techniques
- Deep Circular Motions.
A Swedish Massage will assist with the following:
- Pain Management
- Rehabilitation for Muscle Injuries
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased Circulation and Blood Flow
- Improved Immune System
- Reduced Stress
A Hot Stones massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology involves gently placing flat, warmed, Basalt stones onto specific areas of the body. Hot stones are BEST FOR MUSCLE PAIN AND STIFFNESS.
The stones are covered in hot water to warm them, usually between 130° and 145°.
Hot Stones are used in conjunction with the Swedish Massage.
The Stones may be placed:
- On your Stomach
- On your Chest
- Down your Spine
- Hands and Feet
- On your Face
Hot Stones will assist with the following:
- Help to Alleviate Muscle Stiffness and Pain
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress
- Promotes Sleep
- Helps with Fibromyalgia Pain
- Helps with Arthritis
- Human Touch has a Powerful Impact on Wellbeing
An Aromatherapy massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology is the COMBINATION OF ESSENTIAL OILS THAT ARE USED WITH THE MASSAGE TO PROMOTE HEALING AND RELAXATION.
When choosing the oils, the massage therapist will usually create a synergistic blend of three oils that are then added to the carrier oil. According to the International Federation of Aromatherapists, a blend of Lavender and Ylang-Ylang can be more effective in normalizing blood pressure than either of the oils used on their own.
The oils are applied in ling deep strokes, warming up the muscles and getting the body ready for a Deep Tissue massage. Once the muscles are relaxed and warmed up, the therapist will continue with a deeper massage. The skin is warmed, and blood is drawn to the surface, increasing circulation and encouraging toxins to be eliminated. By the time the massage is over, you’ll be deeply relaxed, and maybe fast asleep!
Aromatherapy is very safe, the main thing to worry about is whether you are allergic to any of the essential oils.
Aromatherapy massage benefits a wide range of conditions from the circulatory system, lymphatic system, immune system, nervous system and muscular system and will:
- Reduce Stress and Tension
- Increase Calmness and Relaxation
- Decrease Muscle Tension
- Balance and Harmonize the body
- Support the body’s Healing process
- Encourage a Healthy Immune System
- Bring Pain Relief
- Increase Circulation
- Increase Energy
- Reduce Depression
A Deep Tissue massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology is when the massage therapist uses warm oils and direct pressure to get to the deeper layers of muscle underneath the top layers. This is aimed at RELIEVING CHRONIC PAIN OR SPECIFIC INJURIES IN AFFECTED AREAS.
A Deep Tissue massage is NOT more painful than a Swedish massage, and many of our clients fall into a deep state of relaxion when they get a Deep Tissue massage.
Our clients use Deep Tissue massage to help with sore and painful muscles in the head and shoulders, upper back, lower back and any other areas that are painful.
A Deep Tissue massage will:
- Assist with deep relaxation. A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine found that blood pressure fell after a single 45 min to 60 min session.
- Help with depression and anxiety. A study found that this massage will reduce stress hormone levels and trigger the release of oxytocin and serotonin.
- Help with chronic pain and muscle stiffness
- Help with specific injured and painful areas to help in the healing process
People have also reported that a Deep Tissue Massage helps with:
- High Blood Pressure
- Sports Injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Tennis Elbow
A Sports massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology is AIMED AT ANYONE DOING REPETITIVE MOTIONS DUE TO SPORTS. Athletes of every type can benefit, whether you’re a world-class professional, or a weekend runner. One of the key benefits of a Sports massage is targeting specific muscle-tendon junctions that are specific to the overused and stressed areas involved in your choice of sports.
The Sports massage includes a Swedish massage to stimulate blood circulation and Deep Tissue massage to break down knots in the muscle and stretching of the affected area.
A sports massage will focus on the problem area, rather than being a full body massage, for example a frozen shoulder or a pulled calf muscle.
A Sports Massage can include:
- A pre-event Sports massage will stimulate and promote flexibility and improves range of motion to prevent sports injuries.
- A post-event Sports massage will be given within an hour or two of the sports events to relax and normalize muscles.
- Rehabilitative Sports massage will focus on specific injuries and pain to help with recovery, repair and healing, and alleviate pain due to injury.
A Shiatsu massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology IS JAPANESE AND FOLLOWS THE SAME PRINCIPLES AS ACUPUNCTURE AND ACUPRESSURE (specifically the meridian lines). It is a specific type of massage that means “finger pressure” in Japanese. A Shiatsu massage will use firm pressure and muscles manipulation techniques that includes not only fingers, but also elbows, knees and feet. The pressure is applied along the specific points of your body called the meridians, to relieve and release tension.
Shiatsu massage will involve pressure from hands, feet, elbows, fists and palms, and is very therapeutic, focusing on energy and energy-balancing.
A Shiatsu massage is
- About Balancing Energy Flows
- About using pressure from hands, feet, elbows, fists and palms
- Increases Circulation
- Detoxifies your Body
- Reduces Blood Pressure
- Relieves Pain from Tense Muscles
- Very Relaxing
During Thai massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology the massage therapist will stretch your body into a variety of positions that resembles yoga. A THAI MASSAGE IS MORE ENERGETIC, LIKE A GOOD YOGA WORKOUT. You will be fully clothed, and no oils are used. There is constant body contact between the giver and receiver, but rather than using hands to manipulate muscles, the body is stretched, puled and manipulated much like assisted yoga, and is also combined with deep static and rhythmic pressure.
Unlike Swedish and Shiatsu massage, you will be more actively involved and assisting with the different yoga positions.
A Thai massage will:
- Lower Stress
- Calm the Nervous System
- Boost Energy levels
- Stimulate Circulation
- Increase Flexibility and Range of Motion
- Help to make you Feel Mentally and Physically Restored
- Relieve Tension Headaches
- Reduce subacute and Chronic Non-Specific Back Pain
At Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology a PRENATAL MASSAGE WILL BE SOFT AND GENTLE. Our massage therapists will take extra care to make sure that you are comfortable on your side with supportive soft pillows. Essential oils will not be used, and certain pressure points will be avoided. Pregnancy Massage is not causative in a miscarriage, but we would avoid doing a massage during the first trimester.
The Prenatal massage will be soft and gentle, since Deep Tissue massages are not safe during pregnancy. The therapist will position you on your side and will massage your back, neck, shoulders, legs and feet gently.
A Prenatal Massage will help with:
- Hormone Regulation (Hormones such as norepinephrine and cortisol are reduced, and dopamine and serotonin levels are increased)
- Increase Wellbeing
- Reduction of Swelling
- Reduction of Sciatic Nerve Pain
- Reduced Back Pain
- Reduced Joint Pain
- Improved Circulation
- Reduced Muscle Tension and Headaches
- Reduced Edema
- Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- Better Sleep
- Alleviated Heartburn
Regular Prenatal Massages:
- Makes Delivery Easier! A study published in the Expert Review of Obstetrics and Gynecology revealed that women who received prenatal massage, regularly had shorter labors (Three hours shorter on average!)
- Reduces the Risk of Premature Labor! According to a study, Prenatal massage is thought to reduce the rate of premature birth because it reduces cortisol levels.
A couple’s massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology CAN BE DONE WITH A PARTNER, FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER. The focus here is on enjoying the massage and spending some quality time together.
This shared massage is perfect for special occasions, like Anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, or Birthdays.
You may choose to have the massage together in the same room with two beds, or separately in separate rooms.
Our massage therapist will discuss what type of massage or combination of massage types will suit you best!
A Chair massage at Reno and Sparks Massage & Reflexology is done WHILE YOU’RE SEATED, FULLY CLOTHED, ON A SPECIALLY DESIGNED CHAIR. You’ll straddle the chair allowing our massage therapist to have full access to your back, neck, shoulders, arms and hands. The massage chair is designed in such a way as to allow you to rest forward slightly, with your arms and legs supported comfortably.
The massage therapist will relieve the tensions in your muscles with kneading and acupressure, without using oils.
A Chair massage will:
- Reduce Stress and Increase Wellbeing
- Reduce Tension and Increase Focus and Attention
- Relieve Tension Headaches
- Increase Circulation and Deeper Breathing
- Relax Muscles and Reduce Pain
- Improve Flexibility and Movement